Pages

4.05.2011

Artist Spotlight - Johnnie Rodriguez

Mr. Johnnie O. Rodriguez is the first Artist Spotlight for the ChickRocks blog.  I'm so inspired by this artist, not only for his great artistic talent but because at his age he continues to do what he loves...ART.  For a long time, I've seen and admired his paintings at Pulquerios shop and I was finally able to meet him this weekend at the Starving Artist Art show in San Antonio.  I enjoyed reading his responses, especially when he says that to get out of a creative rut, "I go dancing with my beautiful wife."




























Your name
Johnnie O. Rodriguez

Age
76

Hometown
San Antonio, Texas

Occupation
Retired postal worker

Favorite food
Enchiladas

Favorite place to visit
The San Antonio missions

Find my work at
Pulquerios in San Antonio’s King William neighborhood.  Click here.

Where and how did your art start?
Tech High School / Ms. Alsup
Warren B. Hunter / private
San Antonio College / Ms. Peary 

Apart from creating, what do you do?
I love ballroom dancing.

Where does your inspiration come from?
My family inspires me and brings me world art.  I am also inspired by my Mexican heritage.  I love working with vivid colors.

What does handmade/art mean to you?
A person who creates his own art using your hands.

Who has been most influential to your in your art?
I was influenced by the old master’s art.  Michelangelo and Raphael inspired me as a young child.  Leonardo da Vince’s religious art was amazing to me.

How would you describe your creative process?
I start with the main subject of my paintings.  I create my own rules.

What’s your favorite part of the creative process?
The final outcome of my paintings.

How do you get out of your creative ruts?
I go dancing with my beautiful wife.

What’s your favorite tool/supply?
My paint brush.

What store can you wander around and be happy?
I like Hobby Lobby.

Where would you like to be in 10 years?
I would like to be alive in 10 years, at the Starving Artist Art Show.  But I might not, by then I will be 86 years old.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...